Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Week 2 - MTC

Dear Friends and Familia!!!!!!
Now I'm into week 2. Woohoo!!!

I wanna start off by saying I love you so MUCH!  Life is so busy, but so productive!  I've been here for 5 days, and I've already taught 3 lessons 100% in Japanese, said dozens of prayers in Japanese, and bore my testimony many, many times.

The food isn't as bad as everyone says it is.  Super easy to gain weight so noooo chocolate milk for Nat!

I've been so good with obedience, it helps to have a companion who is into it.  We work well together.  I miss hugs more than anything.  Not my phone, but hugs.  It sometimes feels a little lonely surrounded by daryo that have little in common with me, but the Lord shows me tender mercies every day to remind me how much He loves me.  I love my Savior and all He has done for me, and at the end of the day that is truly why I'm here.

Hmmm so I'm just gonna start word barfing so that I can tell you all about the past week! To start off it's been AWESOME. Way fun. We don't pray in English anymore...EVER. Party party! Teaching investigators is wayyy intimidating because they only speak Nihongo (Japanese) and they talk super fast.  At times like those my companion tells me how grateful she is to be doryo (companion) with the translator;)

So one of the sisters in my district is Richins Shimai. She's the other tall blonde, and she goes to BYU-I. She's the BOMB. LIKE WE'RE SERIOUSLY BESTIES.  She and I play a lot of volleyball here, she's way good! So you know when I was home my dear friends and I loved Snapchat and because of that I have a pretty insane talent of making ridiculous faces. So at random, Richins Shimai yells "aaaand SNAPCHAT!!!" and then we make our most excellent faces.  It's pretty rich.

Just some random stories and thoughts today:

Hmmm we ladies tripped the breaker the other day and caused a power outage in our apt the other day...oops!

Favorite quote from this week:
B-Choro- "The way to checkmate an elder: surround him with sisters!"

My whole district matches on Wednesdays (pictures to come) because it's our "anniversary".

In beach volleyball, B-Choro went to spike the ball, missed, hit it with his head, and we still got the point because it went over magnificently.

Smith Choro has the greatest impersonation of the President's wife here of how we young ladies must pick up what we've dropped: He puts his hand on his chest, flicks his invisible mane, and bends down from the knee with elegance. It's remarkably graceful for a big guy!

B-Choro once backed into me by accident and screamed:"Aaaaaah!!!" like a little girl because of the no contact rule between choro and shimai (men and women). It was great.

Someone got a package the other day and the packaging looked like a snake. Smith Choro kept whipping it in my face and I exclaimed in aggravation. Then King Choro said: "Women are always beguiled by serpents!" He's the funniest hahaha.

YES I’m in the MTC choir!! Kat and I sit together, and her doryo (companion) is soooo funny. It's way fun… look for me on June 23rd (streamed video broadcast from the Missionary Training Center for all church members)! Yes Allison, Jake (her brother-in-law) is in a different district; my district is actually all missionaries headed to Sendai! But I still see him tons!

To my BYU buds: this week I've seen: Lund, Eves, Blackhurst, Bonney, Moomey, Merrill, Montgomery, Marler, Bang, Rupp, Nguyen and Blackner! It’s basically one big party all up in the MTC.

The DearElder letters are printed and given to me THAT DAY!!! They're truly the greatest, they make the rough days much better J.   Just tell me about your day, I'd love to know that the world is still turning outside the MTC walls.  If someone could please get me Brother Parker from BYU's address, I'd be so grateful!!!

Dad, will you save the pictures I send you, or should I just not delete them off my camera?? I've got plenty of memory for now!

One of our investigators, "Kojima-san" is now our Sensei...AND HE SPEAKS ENGLISH!!!! I feel so betrayed. The MTC is the reason I have trust issues. But he's great! He's actually Nitta Kyodai (Brother Nitta), and he served in Tokyo and he's half Nihonjin (Japanese). OH! Funny story. So while he was still our investigator, "Kojima", I tried to ask him to draw what he was talking about since I had no idea what he was saying. I pointed to my paper and said, "Korewa kaite kudasai" (“Please write it”). The punk looked at me, intentionally misunderstanding and says: Kaite? Kairu??" and I thought to myself, well that’s not how you conjugate that but sure! Kaeru. I nodded and he took the paper. It was dead quiet for 4 minutes as he drew something really small. He handed back the paper and said, " Hai. kaeru." I looked down and said, Shimai, he drew a frog. She goes: no way he didn't.  She looks at it and goes....that's a frog. We about DIED laughing and now that he's our sensei we both get quite a kick out of it. I even colored it for him; I'll send you a picture.

Fowers Sensei (Teacher Fowers) told us he was about to leave his apartment to come to work and someone told him "cute tie!" He looked at them. "Cute tie? CUTE TIE?!?! What am I, in PRIMARY?!" He went right back inside and changed it.

Lessons are getting better, Clark Shimai and I spend more time preparing about what we want people to feel rather than what we want to say, and that has made a huge difference.

Oh Clark Shimai sometimes panics and forgets Nihongo (Japanese), so she responds in Spanish. Fowers Sensei threw down his stuff and yelled SPAINGO WA DAME DESU!!!!!!" (Speaking Spanish is not allowed!) what a drama king.

Anyway, I love my companion, we work so well together. Life is good and my district is like a family away from home. The spirit here is incredible, and I love you all.

 Forever and always,


Orgill Shimai

Another "selfie"

No comments:

Post a Comment